Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This was last year.....we just celebrated yet another year.....

A Dollar’s Worth
By Alisa Dollar

Have you ever wondered why the love verses in 1 Corinthians start with “love is patient”? All you have to do is be married 42 years—or 5 minutes.

We celebrate 42 patient years together this week. Son’s marrying this week to a lovely young lady.

While talking about the upcoming nuptials, he laughed at something I said about his dad. I reminded him his life as a single, only 'think and/or take care of yourself days' are numbered.

He informed me that he’d lost that when they committed to marriage.

I laughed because idealistically he truly believes himself. When reality hits for both of them, they’ll understand my laughter.

Marriage is a wonderful institution. I took vows knowing I would do my best to keep them. What I didn’t know was how hard it is to keep them!

I really thought I’d be June Cleaver in sweats, barefoot, sans pearls. I thought hubby would be Ward in a button down oxford shirt, jeans and boots. We’d have two perfect children and live happily ever after.

<GAG>

I suppose there are those that have a perfect, pearly, clean house, three hot meals marriage.

That is truly wonderful. I wouldn’t be able to stand the quiet. Think about it. Did Ward ever yell at June? Did June scream at Ward or Beaver and Wally? No. She put her hands on her hips and shook her head and said in even tones how things needed to be.

I’m a believer in letting it all out, get it over with, hug, kiss, and as that TV comedian says “Git’r done!” By the way, I don’t really understand that guy, but that’s another column.

After visiting with son, I thought of things just this weekend that would reiterate love is patient.

The time changed Saturday night. Husband says aren’t you going to bed, remember we have church and communion at nine. Of course I know all that, but I don’t say anything. Love is patient.

Sunday morning ten minutes before time to leave, I hear “Do you know what time it is?” Love is patient.

Sunday afternoon I’m cleaning my closet to put winter in and summer out. “Are you going to clean this mess up?” Love is patient.

I know why this is listed first. Marriages wouldn’t last without patience.

Love is patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment