Thursday, November 25, 2010

For those who participate in Black Friday.....

A Dollar’s Worth
By Alisa Dollar

Black Friday is aptly named. For me anyway. When everyone else is standing in line and grabbing this or that and checking out–it’s all black for me. I’m snuggled down and snoozing in bed with Max right beside me.

I don’t get it. I mean if I owned a store, or was in retail for a big chain, I’d understand. Some of my friends get up at 4 a.m. to meet the cruel, cold, and dark early morning to meet friends and family.

I’ll readily admit I’m not that good a friend or sister.

I do, however, have experience in this mania. I tried it once years ago. I left the house all bundled up because, as my luck would have it, it was freezing snow with rain.

Husband said I should wait. I told him I had to get this one thing. He said wouldn’t that one thing wait till noon? I said no it was listed in the paper as one of those “get it now or you’re toast” ads. I didn’t want to be toast.

He demanded to know what “it” could possibly be that I would get up that early to drive across town in drizzly freezing rain at 5 a.m. I said I couldn’t tell him because it’s something for him. He said I don’t want it. I said I think you might.

I go to the store to stand in line after searching for a parking place. While I was driving around the small shopping center I was saying all kinds of tacky things to myself about no parking at 5:30 in the morning.

I was probably the 30th person in line. I finally get in the store and “it” was gone. I wanted to pitch a fit and yell truth in advertisement!

“Where’s truth in advertisement? Hello! “

But I didn’t. I figured they had at least one.

I had something in my hand and some little old lady grabbed it. I said excuse me? She said that’s what she’d been looking for. I said you’re welcome. She said oh yes, thank you.

I went home.

Husband says you didn’t find the thing you went for? I said it’s in the trunk, don’t look, I’m going to bed.

Just a teensy fib and I did eventually get it. I couldn’t tell him he was right all along, now could I?

No comments:

Post a Comment