Monday, March 12, 2012

Better late than never!

A Dollar’s Worth
By Alisa Dollar

The church youth had a Valentine Banquet last Saturday. It’s always nice to see the youth and parents preparing and serving a meal to us “older folk”.

Everything was great until the Newlywed Game.  We were chosen as one of the couples.  Five couples sat side-by-side and rather than one leave the answers were written to save time. Afterwards I realized it was part of the entertainment.

We proved people can be married for 44 years and not know much about the other and stay married. Either that or husband decided to be a comedian. I’m convinced it’s the latter.

One question was “What is your favorite dish…..” and before the youth director could finish husband blurted aloud and very clearly “Farrah Fawcett”. Everyone laughed. I reminded him she was dead and he said “What’s your point?”

After everyone quit laughing, the director ended the question “that your wife prepares for you”.

I really took this seriously. I haven’t cooked that much since the kids left, so I was hard pressed to come up with a good answer; especially after the Farrah Fawcett fiasco.

I finally answered chef salad. I know that sounds lame but I really do make killer salads. I waited for husband to show his answer and I suppose my gut level reaction was funny and that’s when I decided he was indeed being the comic relief for the “show” because he had written pumpkin pie.

I make a killer salad and I also give a killer look. The one time I made his favorite pie a few years ago, he asked if I went to another grocery these weren’t as good-- what had I done. I told him nothing much, just made them is all. Of course the audience didn’t know this, and husband was enjoying my reaction as much as they and poor me--I couldn’t hold back and he knew it.

I blurted out loud and very clearly asking if the preacher was available for marriage counseling after the show.

Needless to say we lost. We missed our calling as entertainers though.

Maybe we proved the ability to tease and laugh together is a much a part of a relationship as crying or yelling during a bad time.

Unconditional loves comes in many ways.

Laughter is one. It works.

Hope your Valentine’s was full of love and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment