Monday, January 16, 2012

To 2012.....

A Dollar’s Worth
By Alisa Dollar

Another year is here and I’ve had my black eye peas and cornbread. That means it’s going to be a good year. I don’t know how that idea came around, but I’m not about to disrupt the notion it brings good luck.

I must still be in the Christmas spirit, I’ve been buying bags and tissue and ornaments half price. I just hope I can find them next year.

As I reflect over the past year, I realize I have the best of the best. Husband and I made it to 44 years of marriage and we are alive, well and looking forward to our 45th anniversary in November.

My two kids are in their world of parenting and experiencing those things they are sure “we” never did.

Daughter has two teenagers so you know what they say about payback. And yes, it is fun to watch. Son has a six-month old daughter, so his trek has just begun. Again, fun to watch.

Good thing they both have spouses who help them along the highways and byways of raising kids.

I have great grandkids so there should never be a problem. All they have to do is put Nana on speed dial. Wait, I don’t think people even use speed dial anymore. Whatever, I’m available. Always!

My two sisters and their respective families are all doing well and even though I get chewed out periodically for not checking in, we have a good relationship and keep up. I think with our parents and brother gone, we know we are the only ones left who can pass stories along to our children and grandchildren. I have a few on my sisters, but I’ve been paid to not relate them. Actually it’s more threatened.

Lastly I have an array of friends I’ve been blessed with over the years, many of whom I’ve known since childhood. If you’re counting, that is a very long time. We can bicker like sibling, but we make up and keep those special bonds that reach back to a time that keeps us grounded in our roots; the beginnings that formed who we are today.

I look forward to another year of continued success in my personal life.

Through times that another day seems impossible, it’s my family, friends and faith in God that make those bad days pass faster to a better tomorrow.

Happy 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment