Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Last year's Easter piece.....

A Dollar’s Worth
By Alisa Dollar

Easter is nearly here and I know I should be thinking about things that go with my beliefs and all I can think about is new shoes and spring clothes!

Seriously, this is the time of year that brings in the new and stores the old. I suppose in a warped way that could apply to a spiritual beginning.

I’m aware speaking of Easter has somehow gotten to be less than accepted in some arenas. Like at Christmas, Nativity scenes being ruled a no-no and other religions could show their stuff. 

In schools, children can learn about all other religions of the world, but mine is a no-no.

I find myself growing impatient with being nice about patience and tolerance with everyone and their particular religious practices and mine are not shown the same respect.

The sad thing is everyone I know of different beliefs are very respectful, curious and tolerant of my practices at certain times of the year as I am of theirs.

One-on-one our world is a much happier and peaceful place to be.

It’s when we allow other people to do our thinking and speaking and it’s nowhere near what all the different religions feel about the other.

With that said, I’m reminded of how my beliefs were formed and solidified over the years with the birth of the Christ child, His journey while on this earth and at Easter His death and resurrection.

I and those who practice the Christian faith are not no-no’s.

It’s a time of year all the symbolism, which varies throughout the many denominations, is re-talked, re-thought, and re-taught.

I like to think of this next week as a divine booster shot in the spiritual pew dweller.

The way I see it, life is too short to fight over who is right and who can practice where, and what can be visible in a court house lawn and what can’t be.

Life is so short that we best all be paying attention to what is right and just amongst the many differences and pray that somehow the Master planner is not gonna let this big world sink!

Next Sunday I’ll be in a pew, with new shoes, next to husband listening to the preacher read the story I’ve heard since I was a little girl.

Isn’t that how all religions work?

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment