Monday, November 7, 2011

Veteran's Day 2010

A Dollar’s Worth
By Alisa Dollar

We forget many times to be thankful and grateful for the privilege of freedom.

Freedom is definitely not a given.

I’ve had an easy life. Even in times I thought I couldn’t get through another nanosecond; I did.

I have a slew of friends and family who, over the years, have hindered, helped, and hovered over me and mine. I’ve done the same for those I love and for many I don’t know.

It’s an unspoken grace received through generations who’ve come before us, teaching it’s better to give than receive.

Much of that is breaking down and though I don’t understand why it’s happening, I do understand it’s up to me to be a reminder there are people in this world who care.

It’s a gift to be able to care and to receive care without retribution.

We live in a country still free to say, act, and be---more often than not---badly.

When Veteran’s Day comes around each year, I grow more appreciative of those who serve in the military.

I understand better each day that my freedom is derived directly from someone else giving up time in their life to serve. Even if there’s not a conflict or war, the threat is always there.

Service men and women have been doing this for years.

 They are trained. They are willing. They are volunteers.

They are brave. They are needed.

They are not rewarded as they should be.

No one likes, wants, or desires conflict which can escalate into war.

I don’t. I don’t know anyone who does.

I’d hate to go to work every day not knowing who my boss is going to be and who his/her boss is going to be and who above them is going to make the rules that will trickle all the way down the chain and could, would, and probably will, change on a daily basis because of politics back home.

These men and women deal with a lot more than actual war.

They deal with uncertainty in their job description, their personal life, and warring emotions within.

We can support military and families by checking local services who deal with specific needs. We can love family and friends with extra care who serve.

The best is to publicly thank them for their service in the past and now.

America is beautiful because of our military.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment